Grey’s Anatomy season 11 returns tonight and fans are anxiously awaiting the outcome of a few different storylines. Here are 5 things you need to know, heading into tonight’s winter premiere episode, titled “Where Do We Go From Here?”
1) Meredith and Derek’s relationship is definitely on the rocks. At the end of the the last episode, Derek decided to take his dream job in Washington D.C., with Meredith wholeheartedly agreeing. Shonda Rhimes told TVLine that “It’s highly possible that we might not see Derek for a while.”
2) Season 11, as Rhimes has previously teased, is “the season of Meredith.” She’s going to be tested because it’ll be her first time without Derek and without Cristina. “… this will be about her coming into her own, as a person and as a surgeon,” Rhimes elaborated. Will she be able to cope without her two “people”?
Many noticed during Meredith and Derek’s climactic argument last episode that Meredith has almost completely transformed into her cold and distant mother. I’d say it’s a bit too soon to jump to that conclusion, but it’ll be interesting to see where the rest of season 11 takes us.
3) It doesn’t look as if Callie and Arizona will be getting back together anytime soon. “It’s respectful to the fans that really want them to be together,” Jessica Capshaw (Arizona) said about how the show will be keeping the separated couple apart (for now) and not teasing fans with a possible make up. “… they don’t have to see them almost be together in every episode.”
4) In the wake of Dereks’ departure, Meredith and Alex will grow closer than ever, much to Jo’s chagrin. “I guess you could call it an emotional affair in a sense,” Justin Chambers (Alex) told TV Guide.
5) Could Alex and Jo be getting married? Camilla Luddigton (Jo) teased the idea of the next big Grey’s Anatomy wedding. “They’re so messy together, but every single couple on the show is and they have their issues,” Luddington said. “They work well together and I think they’re both really growing in their relationship. Even Jo being open and having this conversation where she’s like, ‘You know what? I am jealous and this sucks; I don’t feel like I’m No. 1.’ That’s tough for her to have. You can see Alex really growing up in their relationship, too, and stepping forward and being a supportive boyfriend. I think they do have what it takes.”
The official synopsis for the episode only taunts viewers even more:
“As Derek prepares for his move to DC, Meredith keeps herself busy at the hospital. Meanwhile, Jackson and April deal with difficult news, and Arizona and Amelia discuss how to best approach Dr. Herman…”
Grey’s Anatomy season 11, episode 9 “Where Do We Go From Here?” will air tonight, Thursday, January 29 at 8PM EST on ABC.
What are your theories for the remaining episodes of “Grey’s Anatomy” season 11?