Coming as a big shock to many in the football arena, Cristiano Ronaldo has been left out of the Portugal football team after rape allegations by a former model. Kathryn Mayorga, 34, has claimed that the current Juventus footballer raped her, in Las Vegas, back in 2009.
However, Ronaldo has denied such accusations by Ms. Mayorga.
Portugal national football team, however, decided to keep the former Real Madrid star out of their squad for the next two games, after the Las Vegas police also announced to re-open a case involving Kathryn Mayorga.
This means that the Portugal national team will be playing without their star player in the upcoming game against Poland in the UEFA Nations League, next Thursday and in another friendly game against Scotland three days later.
Portugal coach, Fernando Santos has also said that the accused footballer won’t be called for the next round of international matches in the next month. But he told that this decision was taken after a discussion between him, Ronaldo and the head of Portuguese Football Federation himself.
As far as the allegations by Kathryn Mayorga are concerned, she has filed a lawsuit against Ronaldo, seeking to void a $375,000 non-disclosure agreement, which she was forced to sign. She claims that the Portuguese footballer raped her in Las Vegas, in June 2009, and is now seeking $200,000 in damages.
About the claims made by Kathryn Mayorga, the Las Vegas police department told that it has responded to a call regarding a case of sexual assault on 13 June 2009, and has now re-opened that case.
Telling ‘The Telegraph’ in a statement, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said that the victim didn’t provide any location of the incident, at the time of report being taken. The police also told that a medical exam was also conducted.
But, the police refused to say whether the subject of investigation is footballer Cristiano Ronaldo or not.
Cristiano Ronaldo is the most experienced player for Portugal national team so far, with 154 caps!
The entire fandom of the footballer is left in a shock at the moment.
But the new Italian club which he is currently playing for, Juventus, has come forward in defense of their star player. Juventus posted a statement on their Twitter page about the player’s innocence.
Read More: Nokia 7.1: Leaked Specs, Price, Details, Release date