Pests like fungi, weeds, insects, and rodents can directly affect the environment of the school. Along with the students, even teachers working in the school experience the harmful effects of pests. Not just humans, but also plants and the building structure of the school become weak because of the pests. Therefore, before treating them, it becomes important to discover the sources from where these pests come from.
Pests can have their origin from the school buses themselves. Some students prefer eating on the bus, and if there is no cleanliness, then pest productivity increases. Dirty classrooms, benches, lockers, and sometimes even the washrooms become the source for pests. However, recent studies show that the schools near the dumpster area of the city are more prone to pests than many other schools in the town. Waterlogging in school canteens even gives birth to harmful pests that later on degrades the structure quality of the entire school building.
It is important to know the pests before you decide how to control and treat them.
These are some common types of pests mostly found in the school.
- Red bugs
- Bees and wasps
- Biting midges
- Termite ticks
Manchester Exterminators have expertise in providing commercial pest control in Manchester. In schools, the common pests are insects such as ants, cockroaches, and rodents. You can find bed bugs on the furniture, whereas the termites are a direct threat to students’ health. Bedbugs are small insects that feed on blood from humans or animals. They can live in your bed, furniture, carpet, clothing, and other belongings. They’re most active at night, feeding on people while they sleep. Signs of bed bugs can be 1 to 7 millimeters long. They’re flat, oval-shaped, and reddish-brown in color. Therefore, the pest control in Manchester becomes essential, and here are a few strategies that you can follow to do the same.
- For pest treatment, the use of pesticides is predominant. However, at the same time, they provide exposure to certain chemicals which are not favorable for children under the age of eighteen in school. Thus, a pest control strategy that uses a minimum of pesticides is acceptable for the schools.
- An integrated pest control strategy is a new method to avoid the maximum use of pesticides. According to this strategy, school authorities change to the infrastructure of the school regularly. This activity doesn’t let the pests settle on a particular place for a long time.
- A pest control method should not only be easy but cost-effective. It should protect against the pest for an extended period. While implementing these strategies, one should cause less harm to the surrounding environment.
- To follow the integrated pest control strategy, one has to study the pest populations to know the concentrated area of their growth. Therefore, a prior survey in the school is necessary before taking further steps.
- If regular maintenance of the school does not let the pests to explode rapidly, some constructive strategies such as distancing dumpsters away from the school, cleaning the nearby gutters, and checking the discharge source of water from school can reduce the overall cost.
- More preventive measures such as repairing leaks in pipes and cracks can reduce pests in school. Also, sanitation facilities and cafeteria should be neat to avoid the accumulation of the pests.
- Teachers should give proper knowledge about pest treatment and prevention methods to the students and staff.