Civil engineering is one of the promising and most ancient fields of engineering- there is no denying the truth. The study of this engineering discipline involves how to design, build, and supervise construction projects and systems. If the growth of civil engineering sector is concerned, it is anticipated to grow at a rate of 6%, which is higher than most of the other industries. With the support of the schemes like ‘Smart Cities Mission’ launched by the Indian government, the growth in civil engineering has accelerated like never before. After completing your B.Tech in Civil Engineering, you can start exploring a sea of opportunities in this sector.
Let’s proceed with the major roles of civil engineers and the duties they are entrusted for.
- Survey- Before planning the design of the projects, civil engineers analyze the site and prepare maps & survey reports based on their analysis.
- Estimation- A rough estimation of construction cost, government permit costs, risk analysis & mitigation cost, and various other factors is also a prime responsibility of civil engineers.
- Submission of Permission Applications-Getting the required permissions granted from local, federal, and state governments is also the responsibility of a civil engineer.
- Soil Testing- Testing of the soil of the site and preparing the report is also a job performed by civil engineers before initiating the construction work.
- Testing the Construction Material- Civil engineers test all the material, including wood asphalt, steel, and concrete on different quality parameters.
- Determining the Economic Feasibility- Estimating the labor cost, equipment rent, and construction material cost to determine the economic feasibility.
- Planning & Designing Systems- The civil engineering should be well-versed with design software to design the outline of hydraulic systems and other structures in line with industry standards.
- Overseeing Survey Operations- Civil engineers are also assigned with the responsibility of performing and overseeing the surveying operations.
- Upgrading the Existing Structures- Handling the maintenance and restructuring the existing structures is also a part of the several duties performed by a civil engineer.
How to become a civil engineer?
The profession of civil engineering is enriched with a lot of opportunities and growth. In such a context, choosing civil engineering seems a safer bet. B.Tech in Civil Engineering is the best way to start printing your footsteps in this industry. This degree has been given high recognition across various top-notch construction companies. The eligibility criteria for this degree are as same as B.Tech in any other specialization i.e. 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as major subjects a valid entrance test score (different colleges validate different entrance exams).
B.Tech admissions are open now in various engineering colleges across the nation. If you are eying engineering this year, then civil engineering is a rewarding career option and you should give it a go if you want a future-proof career full of potential. Just explore the information about colleges thoroughly before you apply for the admission. All the best for your engineering endeavors!