Connect with us

News

The second largest city in Australia comes from the 3rd lockdown.

Published

on

The second largest city in Australia comes from the 3rd lockdown.

 

Melbourne, the second largest city in Australia, will ease its third lockdown on Wednesday and encourage spectators, after a five-day absence, to return to the Australian Open tennis tournament.

7,477 spectators will be admitted to the Rod Laver Arena, around 50 percent of its capacity, for the final four days of the first 2021 Grand Slam event, tournament organisers said.

Prior to the statewide Victoria lockout, up to 30,000 tennis fans a day were allowed into three zones at the tournament venue, Melbourne Park.

Earlier, Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews said that the tennis crowd figures will be determined by health authorities.

Andrews said, “We’ll end up with crowds at lots of different locations.” “Because this short and sharp circuit-breaker has worked, we will finish with people being able to move freely.”

To prevent the virus from spreading from the state capital, the lockdown was imposed across Victoria, with a population of 6.5 million people.

Most limitations will be lifted starting at 11:59 p.m. Andrews said that no new infections have been detected in the latest 24-hour cycle.

It will reopen schools and industries.

However, people will still be forced to wear masks and home visitors will be restricted to five people until Feb. 26, when the last of the 25 active cases of COVID-19 in the state will no longer be contagious.

All cases have been tracked to a Melbourne airport hotel where, upon arrival from overseas, travellers are quarantined for 14 days.

Businesses complained that Chinese New Year and Valentine’s Day celebrations were interrupted by the lockdown, revealed just hours before it took effect last Friday.

At 11:30 p.m., all tennis spectators were ejected from Melbourne Park. So that they had time before the stay-home order took effect to get home. When they left, many booed. Since then, the Australian Open has carried on without spectators.

The new lockdown was characterised by some business leaders as an overreaction.

“It is clear that testing and tracing were the keys to solving this possible outbreak, and not the lockdown that was disproportionate to the risk,” said Tim Piper, head of the Australian Industry Group.

Piper said, “We need to learn from this lockdown and adjust the answers accordingly.”

Andrews does not promise that at short notice there would be no more lockdowns declared.

“Andrews said, “I am not prepared to pretend to the Victorian community that this is over.

After a fresh outbreak of infections, Melbourne emerged from a 111-day lockout in October that peaked at 725 cases a day. At two Melbourne quarantine hotels, it was largely blamed on lax infection control procedures.

At the time, owing to low case numbers after an initial national lockout, the rest of Australia was easing restrictions.

My self Eswar, I am Creative Head at RecentlyHeard. I Will cover informative content related to political and local news from the United Nations and Canada.

News

Celtics to be shorthanded again as Derrick White out for Game 2 vs. Heat; Smart hoping to play, Horford questionable

Published

on

Celtics to be shorthanded again as Derrick White out for Game 2 vs. Heat; Smart hoping to play, Horford questionable

The Eastern Conference finals equation changed yet again for the Boston Celtics, with the team reporting the guard Derrick White would miss Thursday night’s Game 2 at FTX Arena against the Miami Heat for the birth of a child.

White had started the Celtics’ series-opening loss on Tuesday night in place of Marcus Smart, who was sidelined by a mid-foot sprain.

White is expected back for Saturday night’s Game 3 of the best-of-seven series at TD Garden.

“It came sooner than expected,” Celtics coach Ime Udoka said of White’s plans, “but we support our guys always in that situation.”

The Celtics acquired White at midseason from the San Antonio Spurs in exchange for former Heat guard Josh Richardson.

Smart was back working with the Celtics ahead of Thursday night’s game.

The latest twist with White comes with Celtics big man Al Horford in NBA health-and-safety protocols, and with Heat guard Kyle Lowry sidelined for a second consecutive week with a hamstring strain.

Horford was awaiting test results Thursday, upgraded Thursday to questionable.

“He was not feeling ill,” Udoka said Thursday of Horford. “He’s feeling fine. He’s OK. It’s something that was unexpected. Just the protocols and testing he hasn’t passed, and we’ll go from there.”

Udoka had been away from the team on Wednesday due to a non-COVID illness. He said Thursday he is “good now.”

Of Smart’s participation in Boston’s morning shootaround, Celtics forward Grant Williams said, “He looked good. Smart’s competitive as heck, so I always expect him, no matter if he’s hurt or injured, he’ll try to make an attempt.”

()

Continue Reading

News

Nikhat Zareen Wins The Women’s Boxing World Championships

Published

on

Nikhat Zareen Wins The Women's Boxing World Championships

Nikhat Zareen of India wins gold at the Women’s World Boxing Championships by defeating Jitpong Jutamas of Thailand in the 52kg final.

Thursday in Istanbul, Turkey, India’s Nikhat Zareen defeated Thailand’s Jitpong Jutamas to win the women’s flyweight division of the 52kg division at the Women’s World Championships. Zareen becomes only the fifth Indian female boxer to win a gold medal at the World Championships, following Mary Kom, Sarita Devi, Jenny RL, and Lekha KC. Zareen, age 25, is a former junior youth world champion. Zareen fought brilliantly against her Thai opponent in the final and brought home the gold medal. The judges awarded the Indian victory with scores of 30-27, 29-28, 29-28, 30-27, and 29-28.

Zareen was in top form as she utilised her technical acumen and court coverage to outwit her opponent with quick feet. Nikhat was able to impress the judges in the first round by landing significantly more blows than the Thai boxer. The second round was more intense, and Jitpong won by a score of 3-2. In the final round, when she needed just one judge on her side, Nikhat went all in and slammed the door on her opponent, resulting in a 5-0 unanimous decision in her favour.

It was also the first gold medal for India since boxing legend Mary Kom won it in 2018.

In the first three minutes of the bout, Nikhat dominated Jutamas, who had defeated Zhaina Shekerbekova of Kazakhstan, a three-time medalist at the World Championships. Jutamas entered the bout with confidence after defeating Shekerbekova.

The 25-year-old Indian took full advantage of her long reach and maintained her dominance over the Thai boxer, whom she had defeated in the semi-finals of the 2019 Thailand Open en route to her silver medal finish.

In the second round, Jutamas attempted a comeback with a counter-attacking display, but he was unable to cause much trouble for the nimble Nikhat, who appeared to be in complete control.

Nikhat’s strength played a crucial role as she threw caution to the wind in the final round and continued to attack relentlessly before securing the gold quite comfortably.

Manisha (57kg) and Parveen (63kg) finished their semi-final bouts with bronze medals, giving the Indian contingent a total of three medals at the world’s largest boxing event, which featured a record number of 310 boxers from 73 countries and marked the 20th anniversary of the Women’s World Championships.

In this year’s tournament, eight Indian boxers advanced to the quarterfinals, tied with Turkey for the highest percentage.

With the addition of three medals in Istanbul, India’s total medal tally in the 12 editions of the prestigious event rose to 39, including 10 gold, eight silver, and 21 bronze, ranking third after Russia (60) and China (50). (50).

The post Nikhat Zareen Wins The Women’s Boxing World Championships appeared first on AlphaNewsCall.

Continue Reading

News

No update yet after Max Scherzer’s tests, but Buck Showalter reveals pitcher also dealing with blister

Published

on

No update yet after Max Scherzer’s tests, but Buck Showalter reveals pitcher also dealing with blister

After leaving his start suddenly on Wednesday night with discomfort in his left side, Max Scherzer had medical tests on Thursday. Before Thursday’s game, Buck Showalter said he had no tangible update on those.

“They took the images,” Showalter said. “They’re waiting on doctors to weigh in, read them. Hopefully we’ll be able to address it later on. I’m not sure when, whether it’s postgame or once we gather the information from the experts.”

The skipper also let slip that Scherzer had been pitching with a different minor annoyance, one that he believes stems from the notoriously strange baseball that the league has been playing with this season.

“He’s been pitching with a blister issue, another thing with the baseball and the seams being different,” Showalter revealed. “He’s been pitching with that for his last two starts. That’s one of the reasons he’s really struggled with his breaking ball. He couldn’t command it. He was trying to keep that from ripping open again.”

As for the ball, Showalter said it’s not just the players who are growing frustrated with it.

“I’m telling you guys, it’s different,” Showalter said. “We’ve had batting practice pitchers talk about it, that throw batting practice for a living.”

No roster moves have been made yet, whether sending Scherzer to the injured list or bringing up someone to replace him. Showalter did say that Starling Marte is most likely going to join the team in Colorado on Friday “at the latest” and he hopes the outfielder will be able to fly there with the team. Marte, who returned to the Dominican Republic to be with his family, is on the bereavement list following the death of his grandmother.

“With the state of mind we’re assuming he’s in, we’re going to give him that space,” Showalter said of Marte.

In addition to Marte’s brief absence, the injury bug is also starting to make a home in the Mets’ clubhouse. Catcher James McCann had surgery on the fractured hamate bone in his left hand and is expected to rehab for about six weeks. Jacob deGrom is continuing to heal but still a ways away from making an official return. Starter Tylor Megill and reliever Trevor May are both on the shelf with injuries to their throwing arms. With Scherzer now suffering something of his own, the manager knows that the preparation of both him and the players in the organization is crucial.

“Every loss is an adjustment that organizations have to make,” Showalter said. “Shame on you if you haven’t at least thought about what you’re going to do if x player isn’t able to play for an extended period of time. There’s another opportunity for someone to step up. It creates good morale in an organization when Tylor Megill and [David] Peterson and [Patrick Mazeika] think that we’re going to look within first before we start coveting someone else. We’d like to have the answers be here.”

ADIOS, ALBERT?

Thursday’s matinee could very well be the last time Albert Pujols played at Citi Field. The 42-year-old future first ballot Hall of Famer got the start at first base and batted seventh. Knowing that Pujols’ time in Major League Baseball is nearing its end, Showalter was asked what has impressed him the most about watching The Machine over the years.

“The thing that always jumped out to be about Albert was his productivity without strikeouts,” Showalter effused. “The guy struck out less than 100 times a year. He’s one of those guys where there’s very few times you’d catch him and he wasn’t on his game.”

Entering play on Thursday, the three-time MVP and ten-time All-Star owned a .309/.392/.611 career slash line in 78 games against the Mets. He launched nine regular season home runs at Shea Stadium and three at Citi Field. In the 2006 National League Championship Series against the Mets, Pujols went 7-for-22 (.318) with seven walks, a homer and a double.

HISTORIC START

With their convincing 11-4 demolition of St. Louis on Wednesday night, the Mets moved to 25-14, tying the Dodgers for most wins in the National League. In the history of the franchise, only the 1988, 1986 and 1972 teams collected more wins in their first 39 games. Each of those three teams went 28-11 out of the gate.

While the ‘86 team won the whole thing and the ‘88 team won 100 games before falling to the Dodgers in Game 7 of the NLCS, the ‘72 bunch ended up missing the playoffs altogether. After starting 28-11, those Mets went 55-62 the rest of the way. Ironically, the next year, the Mets finished the regular season with a worse record but still captured the division and the National League pennant.

Along with 2022, the only other time the Mets started 25-14 was 2007, a year that featured an infamous September collapse.

()

Continue Reading

Trending