Congratulations, you decided to purchase a wall mural. It is quite an exciting experience. Follow this handy list of do’s and don’ts to ensure years of enjoyment:
1. Do inspect to make sure all the pieces are there, and that everything lines up correctly on the floor. If there are any problems, now is the time to call the manufacturer.
2. Do make sure your walls are prepped and you have all the necessary materials at hand such as wallpaper paste, a smoothing brush, fresh razor blades, etc.
3. Do make sure your wallpaper hanger is a member of The National Guild of Professional Paper Hangers, Inc *. If you trust your installation to someone you don’t know, you may end up with less than wonderful results.
4. Do choose your wall thoughtfully. Consult magazines or home decoration shows for inspiration.
5. Don’t hang it alone. A wall mural installation is definitely a two person job. Even if it looked easy on a video, use two people.
6. Don’t leave any wallpaper paste on the printed side of the wall mural. Wipe the excess off immediately. Wallpaper paste can cause permanent discoloration.
7. Don’t pre-trim your mural before you put it up. Even if your wall looks and measures evenly, it’s best to air on the side of caution. Most walls have imperfections–there is no such thing as a “perfect wall”.
8. Do it yourself! You’ll save money on installation. But, remember to have your spouse, friend or neighbor lend a hand (see #5). You can do it!:-)
9. Do give yourself an entire day to install the wall mural. It should definitely take less time, but you do not want to rush the job. Plus you need time for prep and clean up.
10. Do keep children and pets at bay. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, as the saying goes.
And the most important:
Do thoroughly enjoy the experience of having a wall mural in your home. It is a beautiful thing!
*The website for The National Guild of Professional Paper Hangers is http://ngpp.org/