Connect with us

News

21% of children hospitalized with COVID require ICU care, study finds

Published

on

21% of children hospitalized with COVID require ICU care, study finds

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A pediatric study released on Wednesday found that nearly one out of every four children admitted to the hospital with COVID-19 required ICU care.

“That’s higher than I think most people would expect,” said Dr. James Antoon, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt.

Dr. Antoon worked on the study that included close to 20,000 pediatric patients from 45 children’s hospitals around the country between April to September 2020.

“More than half of children admitted to the hospital with COVID-19 did not have underlying health conditions,” said Antoon. “However, those with underlying health conditions and very specific comorbidities had a much higher risk of severe disease.”

Among those hospitalized, the study found a greater disease severity was associated with Black or other non-White children.

Age also played a factor. “Children who are older than 12, who are eligible for the vaccine, were among those who were the highest risk of having severe COVID disease,” said Antoon.

Sick to the point of requiring critical care and assistance breathing.

Overall, Dr. Antoon said younger children needed the most hospital care. “A concerning part of this study is that 70% of children who are hospitalized are not eligible for the vaccine. They’re younger than 12 and we need to protect those children.”

There is some good news as the study found deaths to be rare. But Dr. Antoon said parents need to be aware of the long-term effects the virus can cause.

“We know that children, more so than adults, are more likely to get what we call MIS-C disease or inflammatory disorder after their COVID, even weeks and weeks after their COVID is gone.”

This is why Dr. Antoon says now more research needs to be done to explore symptoms of long COVID in children.

google news

News

Jets owner Woody Johnson still has confidence in Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh

Published

on

Jets owner Woody Johnson still has confidence in Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh

NEW YORK — Despite the Patriots’ 54-13 obliteration of the Jets in Week 7, Jets owner Woody Johnson still believes in the organization’s new infrastructure.

“I have unwavering, steadfast confidence in Joe [Douglas], Robert [Saleh] and the coaching staff,” Johnson said Tuesday. “I’ve been around for going on 22 years, with my little absence that I had recently, and this is a good group. So we will get it right.”

Johnson — who returned to helm his struggling football team earlier this year after four seasons away while serving as President Trump’s ambassador to the United Kingdom — spoke to the media at the start of the NFL owners’ meetings in Manhattan.

Johnson labeled the beatdown from their arch-rival last weekend “frustrating,” but said his focus has turned to the red-hot Cincinnati Bengals (5-2) who crushed the Baltimore Ravens, 41-17, in Week 7 and are tied for the best record in the AFC. The Jets are 1-5 under Saleh, who was hired while Woody’s brother Christopher was still running Gang Green and is a first-time head coach. Douglas was hired in June 2019.

In the two seasons with Adam Gase as head coach the Jets started 1-8 (2019) and 0-13 (2020). But regardless of which Johnson is running the show, the Jets have been one of the worst-run franchises in the league and have the longest active playoff drought (10 seasons and counting).

The Jets’ latest embarrassing start is due to another inept offense and struggling defense. They rank in the bottom five in scoring offense and points allowed. Their offense hasn’t scored a point in the first quarter through six games.

But Johnson still believes in the direction of the long-term plan.

Why?

“Just talking to the leadership with Joe and Robert, talking to them and seeing how their plans are put together, how they’re deep thinkers,” Johnson said. “I think they want to do things like establish a culture and they’re getting the right players in the right positions.”

Johnson might have complete faith in this leadership team, but he might be one of the few.

Ex-Jets coach Rex Ryan — who led Gang Green to back-to-back conference title games at the start of his tenure with the team — blasted Saleh after the loss.

“A complete embarrassment for Robert Saleh and his coaching staff,” Ryan, now an ESPN analyst, said Monday on “Get Up!” “By the way, guys, here’s the scary thing — they’re coming off a bye, a bye! … There’s no passion.”

“You saw a team that knows what the hell they’re doing, the coaching staff with a rookie quarterback, the New England Patriots. That kid [Mac Jones] looks like a seasoned pro. You look at the other side, you’ve got a horrendous coaching staff with a quarterback [Zach Wilson] that looks 100 percent lost.”

There’s no question the shiny new toy hasn’t played well during his rookie year. The first-year quarterback has thrown for 1,168 yards with four touchdowns and nine interceptions while completing just 57% of his passes. It’s not all on the former BYU star, though. There have been offensive inconsistencies across the board from shaky offensive line play to an invisible running game to underperforming weapons.

And to add injury to insult, Wilson suffered a sprained PCL in the second quarter of Sunday’s loss in Foxborough that will likely sideline him between two to four weeks. But Johnson claimed he has zero concerns about the No. 2 overall pick.

“It’s a very young team with a young quarterback. He’s 22 years old. He just turned 22,” Johnson said. “So he’s seeing things for the first time. Like a lot of the young quarterbacks. It’s gonna take him a little bit of time but I have a lot of confidence in Zach, too.”

Wilson’s injury prompted the Jets to trade a conditional sixth-round pick to the Eagles for Joe Flacco on Monday because their only backup QB was Mike White, who saw his first NFL game action when Wilson went down on Sunday.

The Jets don’t look much different than how they did in 2020 — or for much of the last decade — but at least the boss seems to have an abundance of confidence in Wilson, Saleh and Douglas to get Gang Green in the right direction.

©2021 New York Daily News. Visit nydailynews.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

google news
Continue Reading

News

Retired Patriots safety Patrick Chung arrested for domestic violence in Massachusetts

Published

on

50 Colo. Time dealers, Wells are auto fame inductees

Oct. 26—Three-time Super Bowl champion and recently retired Patriots safety Patrick Chung has pleaded not guilty to domestic violence and vandalism charges out of Milton.

The onetime fan favorite was hauled into Quincy District Court Tuesday for the charges against “a family member/household member” and vandalism. Milton Police, records state, arrested him Monday.

He’s accused of allegedly assaulting the mother of one of his children, records state.

Prosecutors asked for $10,000 cash bail and terms that he would not have contact with the victim, according to a spokesperson for Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey. Chung was released on $10,000 personal surety and a restraining order.

The victim’s name has not been released.

In May 2020, Chung signed a two-year contract extension with a $3 million signing bonus to play safety for the Patriots through 2023. He opted out of the 2020-21 season, citing COVID-19 concerns. In March 2021, the 34-year-old announced his retirement after 11 seasons in the NFL and three Super Bowl wins with the Patriots.

“I’m in tears writing this but I’ve decided to hang up the cleats. Bill, Mr. Kraft, thank you for giving me the opportunity to play for your team for 11 years. I love you. Bill, for teaching me life on and off the field, (I) will not forget that,” he said in part on social media when he retired.

Chung spent several seasons with the Patriots, playing in Foxboro from 2009 to 2012, and again from 2014 until his career’s end. Teammates voted him a captain in 2018. He was part of three Super Bowl-winning teams and was named to the New England Patriots 2010s “All-Decade” team.

This isn’t Chung’s first run-in with local authorities. In 2019, Chung faced a felony charge of cocaine possession after drugs were allegedly found in his home in Meredith, New Hampshire. That charge was dismissed in January 2020, on terms that he would remain on good behavior for two years.

Chung is due back in court on Jan. 7 for a pretrial conference.

On Monday, the day of his arrest, Chung posted the message, “Best day of my life,” from his personal Twitter account. He didn’t explain why.

(c)2021 the Boston Herald Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

google news
Continue Reading

News

3 keys to a Giants win over the Panthers in Week 7

Published

on

50 Colo. Time dealers, Wells are auto fame inductees

1) RUN THE BALL EFFECTIVELY

The best way to protect a bad offensive line is to run the ball well. Daniel Jones’ legs will be important to controlling this game for the Giants. So will downhill backs Devontae Booker and Eli Penny.

2) DON’T TURN IT OVER

Sam Darnold and the Panthers offense have struggled and turned the ball over without top back Christian McCaffrey. Jones can’t turn the ball over and give Darnold short fields like he did with four giveaways to the Rams.

3) STOP THE RUN

The Giants run defense is giving up 137.2 yards per game, fourth worst in the NFL. Panthers coach Matt Rhule publicly said he wants to recommit to the ground game and run it 30-35 times. The Giants view that as a direct challenge. Stopping that may decide the game.

©2021 New York Daily News. Visit nydailynews.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

google news
Continue Reading

Trending