Connect with us

Celebrities

The woman who accused Nicki Minaj’s husband of rape gives first TV interview: ‘I don’t want to be afraid anymore’

Published

on

Photo may have been deleted

YouTube

The woman who accused Nicki Minaj‘s husband, Kenneth Petty, of sexual assault criticized the rapper for attempting to make her retract her claims in her first TV interview.

Jennifer Hough appeared on daytime talk show The Real on Wednesday, September 22, where she revealed she was tired of being afraid.

She previously accused Nicki and Petty of running a campaign of intimidation and bribery to drop her claims.

Hough alleged that Nicki and her associates repeatedly reached out to her and her family in an effort to get her to deny she was sexually assaulted by Petty in 1994, when she was 15.

Photo may have been deleted

Instagram

Petty, 43, served four years in prison for attempted rape and seven years for first-degree manslaughter as a young man.

Speaking to hosts Garcelle Beauvais and Adrienne Bailon on The Real, Hough said:

“I feel like the actions that were taken in regards to this whole situation have put me in a different type of fear… and it was wrong. I don’t want to be afraid anymore. So the only way not to be afraid is to continue to speak up.”

She recalled her sexual assault, saying Petty forced her into a house after they met at a bus stop. Afterwards, Hough called the police and watched as they brought Petty out of the house in handcuffs. Police took her to a nearby hospital for a rape kit.

1632342141 665 The woman who accused Nicki Minajs husband of rape gives

BACKGRID

Petty was convicted and placed on a sex offender list, but Nicki has always maintained her husband and Jennifer were dating at the time of the incident. She insisted Petty was 15 at the time.

“It wasn’t true,” Hough said. “We both were 16, we were never in a relationship. I just felt woman to woman that was wrong of her.”

Petty recently pleaded guilty to failing to register as a sex offender in California. He has entered a plea deal which calls for him to serve prison time. He will learn his sentence in an upcoming hearing.

1632342141 259 The woman who accused Nicki Minajs husband of rape gives

BACKGRID

Petty is suing New York officials to get his name off the state’s Sex Offender Registry.

He claims he never got the chance to challenge the default ruling back in 2004 because he was in prison at the time, and he was never served with a summons.

Hough is suing Nicki and Petty for intentional infliction of emotional distress, harassment, and witness intimidation.

Watch Hough’s interview below.
 

google news
Advertisement
Click to comment

Celebrities

Teyana Taylor Reveals Why She’s ‘Not Surprised’ By Hubby Iman Shumpert’s ‘DWTS’ Success

Published

on

Teyana Taylor Iman Shumpert

Teyana Taylor had nothing but high praise for husband Iman Shumpert’s performance on ‘DWTS.’ She told HL EXCLUSIVELY that Iman is her ‘backup dancer behind closed doors.’

Iman Shumpert is still in the running for the mirrorball trophy on Dancing With the Stars, and Teyana Taylor is by far his biggest fan. The singer revealed to HollywoodLife EXCLUSIVELY that she’s not shocked her husband is doing well on the show.

“I’m not surprised because he’s always crashing my rehearsals!” Teyana told HollywoodLife at Mohegan Sun’s anniversary party at TAO Mohegan Sun on October 23. “He’s been on about 15 tours with me. He’s my DJ, he’s my backup dancer behind closed doors, you know? I think something like this was only right to happen. I’m super excited.”

Iman Shumpert with ‘DWTS’ pro Daniella Karagach. (ABC)

Iman is paired with DWTS pro Daniella Karagach. Despite his height, Iman has done exceptionally well on the show and keeps getting better each week. For Horror Night, Iman and Daniella will be dancing an Us-inspired contemporary routine to “I Got 5 On It” by Luniz ft. Michael Marshall.

Teyana encouraged Iman to do the show when he first got the call. “He was excited! I think we love ripping out of our comfort zone and taking a stab at new things,” she said. “I always tell him, like, never let yourself get plugged into one socket. Try and find as many sockets throughout the room as you can, so I think that’s what we do.”

The “Concrete” singer said she puts her “two cents in” once she knows the DWTS theme each week. “Like, when it’s time to tango, that’s when you take control! So I’m just trying to help him out once I know what the circumstances are,” she admitted.

Teyana Taylor Iman Shumpert
Teyana Taylor and Iman Shumpert get cozy on a carpet. (Michele Eve Sandberg/Shutterstock)

Teyana and Iman have been married since 2016. They have two adorable daughters together, Junie and Rose. Teyana has been spotted in the audience cheering on her man multiple times this season. She’s one proud wife! Dancing With the Stars airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on ABC.

google news
Continue Reading

Celebrities

One intern’s idea to curb road rage in Calgary—with humour

Published

on

One intern's idea to curb road rage in Calgary—with humour

The drive into Calgary is worth a chuckle, thanks to Joseph Kruis, an intern in the city of Calgary’s transportation department

Every Tuesday after the workday has begun in Calgary, Joseph Kruis can count on a handful of friends to drop him texts or Facebook messages with laugh-cry emojis or remarks like: “nice one.” They’ll relay the pun or quip that made them chuckle a few minutes earlier, but Kruis is more likely to smirk than laugh out loud. He’s already heard that jokey message. Odds are he helped write it.

Kruis, 25, is the brains and wisecracking sensibility behind a new program that aims to bring a little joy to the humdrum commutes of Calgary motorists. Each Tuesday, several roadside digital signs along the city’s major routes take respite from their normally grey messaging in favour of something sunnier. Instead of “Airport Trail in 20 min” or “Incident in left lane ahead, expect delays,” a sign might read:

“You’re not a firework. Don’t drive lit.”

“Texting and driving? Oh cell no!”

During the Calgary Stampede, the signboards riffed on the naughty country song Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy) with “Save a horse/Ride a cab home.”

READ: A doorway to a hidden past in Calgary 

The city of Calgary’s transportation department calls them Traffic Tuesdays: each week, drivers are greeted with a message meant to bring awareness, safety messages and, ideally, a smile to their faces. City staff theorize that happy rush-hour drivers are less likely to succumb to road rage or make mistakes born of impulse.

The idea originated in a long-running safety campaign from Iowa’s freeway system, Message Monday. But it was Kruis who suggested his department adapt the program to Calgary’s roads after watching Iowans extol it during a webinar last November. He had only started work with the city seven months earlier as an engineer-in-training, working on various small transportation network improvements. He’d spend rush hours helping traffic technicians toggle traffic-light timing, reverse lane directions and switch messages on those digital signs.

When he was first learning the sign system, a thought about the messaging crossed his mind: “It’s dry, with no human touch. It would be kind of cool to de-robotize it, make it more of a human approach.” The Iowa program showed him how, and soon his penchant for everyday one-liners that sometimes make his fiancée’s eyes roll became part of his job.

MORE: Jyoti Gondek and Amarjeet Sohi: A joint interview with Alberta’s new progressive mayors 

Kruis’s supervisor readily embraced the idea, and civic managers leapt aboard—as long as they could vet the messages. There is an art to being funny on public roadside letter boards, Kruis and his colleagues have learned. First, with a maximum of 27 characters per sign frame, it’s vastly more restrictive than Twitter. Pop culture references such as “Baby Yoda uses The Force/But still needs a car seat” tend to be hits, as do ones that address driver pet peeves: “Camp in the Rockies/Not in the left lane” was a winner. In the rejects pile are messages that sound even remotely like swearing, such as July’s never displayed “Stampede is over/Slow the buck down.”

Iowa released its message archive to Kruis’s team, along with some warnings about their own missteps, including the use of overly grim maxims. That state’s transportation department got blowback for using “Crashes don’t kill teens; bad choices do.”

Calgary launched its weekly pilot program with the Baby Yoda car seat message (on May 4, a.k.a. Star Wars Day), causing bemusement among drivers who thought it might be a “May the Fourth” one-off. But when it was publicized as a regular feature, they embraced it. The city invited residents to submit their own ideas and got 250 within the first two weeks.

READ: A low carbon world is coming to Alberta 

As Kruis inches toward full-fledged engineer status, his resumé already featuring a well-received new civic program, he marvels at having found that rare engineering post in which wielding quips is part of the work. “When I told my fiancée’s family about this project,” he says, “my future mother-in-law was like, gosh, he found a job that is totally up his alley.”

No pun intended, surely.


This article appears in print in the November 2021 issue of Maclean’s magazine with the headline, “Exit in two smiles.” Subscribe to the monthly print magazine here.

google news
Continue Reading

Celebrities

Alec Baldwin may face manslaughter charges

Published

on

Alec Baldwin may face manslaughter charges

Jim Spellman/Getty Images

Actor Alec Baldwin may face federal manslaughter charges after shooting and killing a cinematographer and injuring a director on the set of his low budget independent film, “Rust.”

Chicago-based attorney Andrew Stoltmann believes Baldwin “needs to start thinking like a potential defendant instead of just somebody who made a tragic mistake.”

“I’m certainly not saying he’s going to be charged,” Stoltman told Fox News, “but what I am saying is anytime somebody shoots another human being – even on accident, even in self-defense – the police and eventually prosecutors look very, very carefully at what happened.”

According to an affidavit released Sunday night, Baldwin, 66, was practicing firing into a camera when camerawoman Halyna Hutchins was shot in the chest on Thursday.

The bullet went through Hutchins and struck director Joel Souza in the clavicle. Hutchins, 42, was pronounced dead at a hospital. Souza was treated and released from a hospital the same day.

A sheriff’s investigation is ongoing, but no charges are expected to be filed against Baldwin.

However, federal prosecutors are considering filing charges against the volatile actor who reportedly angered unionized crew members earlier in the day.

The crew members say they walked off the set because of poor working conditions and gun safety issues.

They crew was fired and replaced by non-union workers. One of those non-union workers, a 24-year-old woman with no experience, was given the assignment of preparing a prop gun for Baldwin.

It was revealed in the affidavit that some crew members used the same gun for target practice on the desert set earlier.

Investigators say Baldwin and his crew violated the 1st rule of gun safety: never point a gun at someone. Always assume the gun is loaded.

There’s a difference between a “prop gun” and a real firearm — and the crew members knew the gun was real.

At least one scripted television series, ABC’s cop show “The Rookie,” has banned the use of real guns on the set going forward.

Whether Baldwin is charged or not, his acting career is over.

Hollywood insiders say the low budget movie he was filming at the time of the incident will never see the light of day.
 

google news
Continue Reading

Trending