Connect with us

News

Spanish court throws out lawsuit against US treasure hunters

Published

on

Spanish court throws out lawsuit against US treasure hunters

MADRID — A Spanish court has shelved a lawsuit against American treasure hunters that accused them of having destroyed an underwater archaeological site when they looted a sunken galleon for tons of precious coins over a decade ago.

In 2007, the Florida-based Odyssey Marine Exploration scooped up over half a million silver and gold coins from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean when it discovered a sunken Spanish galleon. Spain disputed the company’s claim to the treasure, which was worth an estimated $500 million. Following a five-year legal battle in U.S. courts, Odyssey had to return the treasure to Spain in 2012.

A separate case investigating whether the Odyssey had committed a crime by allegedly destroying the underwater site where it found the Nuestra Senora de las Mercedes ship was tossed out in 2016. Now, another court has said that an appeal by Spanish archaeologists against that decision has been thrown out as well. This decision is not open to appeal.

In court documents,  the panel of three judges presiding over the court in the southern city of Cadiz said the five-year statue of limitations for the alleged crime had already passed. But they also complained that a 2013 request made to the United States for the owners of Odyssey to be questioned in the case was never heeded.

“Even though we share our surprise, puzzlement, and even anger, for what we can only call the unprecedented course of this case, it would be senseless to let it go on if we consider the statue of limitation,” the judges wrote.

The Mercedes galleon was sunk by British ships near the Strait of Gibraltar in 1804. It was transporting 574,553 silver coins and 212 gold coins from metals that were mined and minted in the Andes.

Upon its return from the U.S., the treasure was given a home at Spain’s National Museum of Underwater Archaeology in the Mediterranean city of Cartagena.

google news

News

Giants cagey about Daniel Jones’ neck injury as QB is limited in walkthrough practice

Published

on

Giants cagey about Daniel Jones’ neck injury as QB is limited in walkthrough practice

One Joe Judge comment stood out above all the others Wednesday.

The Giants’ head coach was asked if there is concern Daniel Jones’ neck strain could be a season-ending injury.

“At this moment, no,” Judge said.

The coach’s hedging provided an adequate summary of where Jones’ injury stands: somewhere in the gray.

The third-year quarterback — who is considered week-to-week, according to sources — was limited in a quick walkthrough practice. He conducted his weekly press conference and said he’s “feeling good” and “preparing to play” Sunday against the Miami Dolphins.

But a lot of that felt like gamesmanship.

Judge prefers to keep injury information in-house. Since Jones’ injury got out, Wednesday felt like the Giants trying to overcorrect and create uncertainty for the Dolphins (5-7).

The Giants even waited longer than usual for the media to leave after the brief viewing period at the start of practice. The offensive huddle stayed on the sideline waiting for reporters to depart so they wouldn’t tip off which players took the field.

Jones always tries to play through injuries. His desire to play isn’t the issue, though. Backup Mike Glennon is still expected to start as the Giants (4-7) seek a second straight win.

“There’s a number of things the trainers and doctors want to see,” Jones said of his “sore” neck. “But my focus is to continue to improve and get better and put that [decision] in their hands come this weekend.”

Jones did say he doesn’t believe this is season-ending, although clearly there have been discussions the past couple days about just how bad it was.

“I don’t know,” Jones said. “I think there was obviously a series of tests and conversations with doctors, and I always understood it to be something I could recover from and get back out there.”

Judge said “we’re not gonna rule anything out right now” on Jones’ status for Sunday. However, the head coach admitted that the timing of Tuesday’s signing of quarterback Jake Fromm off the Buffalo Bills’ practice squad was motivated by Jones’ injury.

“When you first get any kind of flag on any player … you immediately say, ‘OK, what kind of insurance do we need for the game right now?’” Judge said. “And then it was an opportunity for us to add a player we liked in college and the draft.”

Fromm was not available to the media after his first practice with the team.

Jones, despite dealing with his neck injury, surprisingly has not been evaluated for a concussion during or since Sunday’s win over the Philadelphia Eagles, per Judge and the team.

The coach said he did not know about Jones’ injury until “our post-game injury report on Monday.” Asked if Jones had said anything about the injury during Sunday’s game, Judge said: “Nothing to me.”

Jones said he felt OK during the game even after sustaining the injury on the second play from scrimmage. Then “after the game it was sore” and “I woke up [Monday] and it was sore.”

The quarterback said he doesn’t want to miss time. He never does.

“I feel that responsibility to be out there,” he said. “I never want to miss games. As a quarterback you never want to miss any time. That’s my focus is to get back and be ready to play… My focus is to get back this week.”

The Giants have recent experience with rushing Jones back too quickly and seeing it backfire, though.

Last season, Jones played on a right hamstring strain in Week 14 against the Arizona Cardinals. He couldn’t move, got tuned up by the Cardinals’ pass rush, and sprained his left ankle. He then had to sit out the following week’s 20-6 loss to the Cleveland Browns.

“I think every injury is completely independent of another one,” Judge said, when asked if the Giants had learned a lesson from last year. “The medical team’s got to do their job in terms of determining if somebody’s healthy enough to go on the field. And I’ll do my job of getting him prepared for football.”

Jones said there has been no discussion of any shot or painkiller being required to help him manage the injury. He said the Giants and Jones “have a pretty clear understanding of what it is” and now it’s “just about treating it.”

The quarterback stressed that he’s tried hard this season to protect himself better when running, though this is the second time this season he has gotten hurt by lowering his head forward.

“It’s something I’ve been focused on this season is to get down and avoid some of those hits,” he said. “I’ve just got to continue to do that. It can be tough at times, but it’s something you’ve got to be able to do.”

He’ll have to get better at it if he wants to use his athleticism to his advantage — that is, whenever he does get back in an actual game.

TONEY’S INJURY RE-CLASSIFIED

Kadarius Toney missed last Sunday’s win over the Eagles with what the Giants called a “quad” injury. On Wednesday, the team changed that designation to an “oblique/quad” injury, and Toney continued to sit out practice. Toney had pointed to his left hip when he got hurt in Tampa on Nov. 22, so it makes sense that his injury is more than a quad.

Since the start of training camp, Toney has missed practice or game time due to a positive COVID-19 test and injuries to his thumb, ankle, hamstring, quad and oblique.

Jones was the only player listed as limited in Wednesday’s walkthrough. A laundry list of players were non-participants: Toney (oblique/quad), wideout Sterling Shepard (quad), tight end Kyle Rudolph (right ankle), corner Adoree Jackson (quad), tight end Kaden Smith (knee), wideout John Ross (illness), edge Trent Harris (ankle) and special teamer Cullen Gillaspia (calf).

google news
Continue Reading

News

Max Franz has fastest time in downhill training at Beaver Creek

Published

on

Max Franz has fastest time in downhill training at Beaver Creek

BEAVER CREEK — Max Franz of Austria was the fastest racer in a downhill training run Wednesday along the demanding Beaver Creek course.

Racing fifth overall, Franz’s time of 1 minute, 39.91 seconds wound up 0.40 seconds ahead of Matthieu Bailet of France. Adrian Smiseth Sejersted of Norway was 0.53 seconds behind.

The American contingent was in the field a day after it was announced one of their racers tested positive for the coronavirus and was ruled out for the four World Cup races this week at Beaver Creek. The other members of the U.S. team were retested and kept apart from fellow racers. The U.S. squad warmed up in a separate zone before the training run.

“We’ve been really safe. So it just goes to show that, yeah, we’re still living in this world and anyone can get it at any time,” said American racer Travis Ganong, who finished 1.77 seconds behind Franz’s time. “We’ve been so careful. We’re going to continue to be careful.”

The top American was Jared Goldberg, who was 1.65 seconds behind the time of Franz.

The Birds of Prey course will hold a super-G race Thursday. The event in Beaver Creek was canceled last season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

google news
Continue Reading

News

Official: Michigan boy discussed killing students in video

Published

on

Oxford High School shooting: Fourth student dies

By COREY WILLIAMS and ED WHITE

OXFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a 15-year-old boy charged in a shooting at a Michigan high school recorded video night before violence in which he discussed killing students.

The revelation was made by Oakland County Sheriff’s Lt. Tim Willis during a court hearing for Ethan Crumbley.

Crumbley is accused of killing four students and injuring seven others Tuesday at Oxford High School. He’s charged as an adult with murder, attempted murder and terrorism causing death. Willis made the comments shortly before Crumbley was to be arraigned.

Authorities have not revealed a possible motive for the violence.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story follows below.

OXFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — A 15-year-old boy was charged Wednesday with murder, terrorism and other crimes for a shooting that killed four fellow students and injured others at a Michigan high school.

Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald did not reveal a possible motive for Tuesday’s violence at Oxford High School and declined to comment when pressed about whether she believed the victims were specifically targeted. But she said the shooting was premeditated, based in part on a “mountain of digital evidence” collected by police.

Sheriff Mike Bouchard later told reporters that the boy’s parents had been summoned to the school before the violence. Bouchard wouldn’t discuss details of the behavior school officials were concerned about. The teen, Ethan Crumbley, who is now charged as an adult with murder, attempted murder and terrorism causing death, was in the meeting with his parents, Bouchard said.

“There is nothing that he could have faced that would warrant senseless, absolutely brutal violence on other kids,” he said.

Ethan Crumbley is accused of firing a semi-automatic handgun in a school hallway, roughly 30 miles (50 kilometers) north of Detroit. At least seven other people were injured. It wasn’t immediately known if Crumbley had an attorney who could comment.

“This was not just an impulsive act,” McDonald said.

The shooting should be a wake-up call for new gun laws in a country that has become “desensitized to school shootings,” McDonald told reporters.

“We have to do better,” McDonald said without offering specific changes. “How many times does this have to happen? How many times?”

The charges were announced a few hours after investigators reported that a fourth student had died.

“What about all the children who ran, screaming, hiding under desks? … Those are victims, too, and so are their families and so is the community. The charge of terrorism reflects that,” the prosecutor said.

Deputies rushed to the school around lunchtime Tuesday and arrested Crumbley in a hallway within minutes of the shooting. His father bought the 9 mm Sig Sauer gun last week, according to the Oakland County sheriff.

McDonald strongly suggested that more charges will be filed.

“We are considering charges against both parents and we will be making a decision swiftly,” she said.

“Owning a gun means securing it properly and locking it and keeping the ammunition separate,” she said.

The four students who were killed were identified as 16-year-old Tate Myre, 14-year-old Hana St. Juliana, 17-year-old Madisyn Baldwin and 17-year-old Justin Shilling.

After the attack, authorities learned of social media posts about threats of a shooting at the roughly 1,700-student school. The sheriff stressed how crucial it is for such tips to be sent to authorities, while also cautioning against spreading social media rumors before a full investigation.

Undersheriff Mike McCabe downplayed the significance of a situation in early November when a deer’s head was thrown off the school roof, which he said was “absolutely unrelated” to the shooting. The incident prompted school administrators to post two letters to parents on the school’s website, saying they were responding to rumors of a threat against the school but had found none.

Isabel Flores, a 15-year-old ninth grader, told Detroit television station WJBK that she and other students heard gunshots and saw another student bleeding from the face. They then ran from the area through the rear of the school, she said.

A concerned parent, Robin Redding, said her son, 12th-grader Treshan Bryant, stayed home Tuesday after hearing threats of a possible shooting.

“This couldn’t be just random,” she said.

Bryant said he had heard vague threats “for a long time now” about plans for a shooting.

At a vigil Tuesday night at LakePoint Community Church, Leeann Dersa choked back tears as she hugged friends and neighbors. Dersa has lived nearly all of her 73 years in Oxford. Her grandchildren attended the high school.

“Scared us all something terrible. It’s awful,” Dersa said of the shooting.

Pastor Jesse Holt said news of the shooting flooded in to him and his wife, including texts from some of the 20 to 25 students who are among the 400-member congregation.

“Some were very scared, hiding under their desks and texting us, ‘We’re safe, we’re OK. We heard gunshots, but we’re OK.’ They were trying to calm us, at least that’s how it felt,” he said.

___

Associated Press journalists Ryan Kryska, Mike Householder and David Aguilar in Oxford Township, Michigan; Kathleen Foody in Chicago; and Josh Boak in Rosemount, Minnesota, contributed to this report. AP researcher Rhonda Shafner in New York also contributed.

google news
Continue Reading

Trending