Connect with us

News

Violence In Boston director arrested by the feds on pandemic fraud charges

Published

on

In Varsity Blues trial, prosecutor says parents made a ‘quid pro quo,’ defense argues government has no proof

A director for the Violence In Boston nonprofit has been arrested by the feds on pandemic unemployment and mortgage fraud charges, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Clark Grant, 38, of Taunton, is accused of collecting more than $67,000 in pandemic unemployment benefits while at the same time working and taking home a full-time salary of close to $70,000 a year, according to federal court documents.

He is the husband of Monica Cannon-Grant, president and founder of Violence In Boston and an outspoken community activist.

Grant allegedly made the fraudulent Pandemic Unemployment Assistance claims and incorporated them in a mortgage application for a Taunton residence, according to a federal affidavit.

In addition, Grant listed the assets controlled by Violence in Boston, totaling over $447,000, as a personal asset on his mortgage application, according to prosecutors. He has been charged with one count of wire fraud and one count of false statements on a loan and credit application.

Clark and Monica are listed as husband and wife on the deed and mortgage for the Taunton residence, according to documents on file with the Bristol County Registry of Deeds. Monica has not been charged.

Violence In Boston, which was founded by Monica, says its goals are to “reduce violence and provide community aid to disenfranchised communities.”

Efforts to reach Violence In Boston and Monica were unsuccessful on Tuesday.

google news

News

Sheriff: Boy’s parents called to Oxford High before violence

Published

on

Oxford High School shooting: Fourth student dies

By COREY WILLIAMS and ED WHITE

OXFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — A 15-year-old boy was charged Wednesday with murder, terrorism and other crimes for a shooting that killed four fellow students and injured others at a Michigan high school.

Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald did not reveal a possible motive for Tuesday’s violence at Oxford High School and declined to comment when pressed about whether she believed the victims were specifically targeted. But she said the shooting was premediated, based in part on a “mountain of digital evidence” collected by police.

Sheriff Mike Bouchard later told reporters that the boy’s parents had been summoned to the school before the violence. Bouchard wouldn’t discuss details of the behavior school officials were concerned about.

“There is nothing that he could have faced that would warrant senseless, absolutely brutal violence on other kids,” he said.

Ethan Crumbley is accused of firing a semi-automatic handgun in a school hallway, roughly 30 miles (50 kilometers) north of Detroit. At least seven other people were injured.

Crumbley was charged as an adult with murder, attempted murder and terrorism causing death. It wasn’t immediately known if he had an attorney who could comment.

“This was not just an impulsive act,” McDonald said.

The shooting should be a wakeup call for new gun laws in a country that has become “desensitized to school shootings,” McDonald told reporters.

“We have to do better,” McDonald said without offering specific changes. “How many times does this have to happen? How many times?”

The charges were announced a few hours after investigators reported that a fourth student had died.

“What about all the children who ran, screaming, hiding under desks? … Those are victims, too, and so are their families and so is the community. The charge of terrorism reflects that,” the prosecutor said.

Deputies rushed to the school around lunchtime Tuesday and arrested Crumbley in a hallway within minutes of the shooting. His father bought the 9 mm Sig Sauer gun last week, according to the Oakland County sheriff.

McDonald strongly suggested that more charges will be filed.

“We are considering charges against both parents and we will be making a decision swiftly,” she said.

“Owning a gun means securing it properly and locking it and keeping the ammunition separate,” she said.

The four students who were killed were identified as 16-year-old Tate Myre, 14-year-old Hana St. Juliana, 17-year-old Madisyn Baldwin and 17-year-old Justin Shilling.

After the attack, authorities learned of social media posts about threats of a shooting at the roughly 1,700-student school. The sheriff stressed how crucial it is for such tips to be sent to authorities, while also cautioning against spreading social media rumors before a full investigation.

Undersheriff Mike McCabe downplayed the significance of a situation in early November when a deer’s head was thrown off the school roof, which he said was “absolutely unrelated” to the shooting. The incident prompted school administrators to post two letters to parents on the school’s website, saying they were responding to rumors of a threat against the school but had found none.

Isabel Flores, a 15-year-old ninth grader, told Detroit television station WJBK that she and other students heard gunshots and saw another student bleeding from the face. They then ran from the area through the rear of the school, she said.

A concerned parent, Robin Redding, said her son, 12th-grader Treshan Bryant, stayed home Tuesday after hearing threats of a possible shooting.

“This couldn’t be just random,” she said.

Bryant said he had heard vague threats “for a long time now” about plans for a shooting.

At a vigil Tuesday night at LakePoint Community Church, Leeann Dersa choked back tears as she hugged friends and neighbors. Dersa has lived nearly all of her 73 years in Oxford. Her grandchildren attended the high school.

“Scared us all something terrible. It’s awful,” Dersa said of the shooting.

Pastor Jesse Holt said news of the shooting flooded in to him and his wife, including texts from some of the 20 to 25 students who are among the 400-member congregation.

“Some were very scared, hiding under their desks and texting us, ‘We’re safe, we’re OK. We heard gunshots, but we’re OK.’ They were trying to calm us, at least that’s how it felt,” he said.

___

Associated Press journalists Ryan Kryska, Mike Householder and David Aguilar in Oxford Township, Michigan; Kathleen Foody in Chicago; and Josh Boak in Rosemount, Minnesota, contributed to this report. AP researcher Rhonda Shafner in New York also contributed.

google news
Continue Reading

News

Nuggets’ Michael Porter Jr. undergoes back surgery, team says

Published

on

Nuggets’ Michael Porter Jr. was playing with back pain this whole season, says Austin Rivers

Nuggets forward Michael Porter Jr. underwent lumbar spine surgery, the team announced Wednesday afternoon.

He is out indefinitely, the release said. The surgery was performed by Dr. Andrew Dossett at the Carrell Clinic.

Porter, 23, has had three back surgeries, including two since the Nuggets drafted him in 2018. Porter had been playing hurt all season before tweaking his back against Houston on Nov. 6. He was dealing with a nerve issue in his back, as The Denver Post first reported.

google news
Continue Reading

News

Keith Urban comes to Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre in August

Published

on

Keith Urban comes to Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre in August

ST. LOUIS – Keith Urban is coming to the Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre on August 19, 2022 featuring Ingrid Andress.

“The Speed of Now World Tour” is Urban’s first tour in four years.

FOX 2 will be giving away tickets every day from December 6 to December 10.

“I’ve always considered myself a live performer first,” Urban said. “It’s what I’ve always done and it’s what my music needs to live and breathe.  Our shows are all about living in the moment.  They’re a totally interactive and immersive experience where everyone can participate in whatever way they want – sing, dance, do whatever.”

His tour kicks off on May 27 in Las Vegas. It ends on November 5 in St. Paul Minnesota.

Tickets go on sale Friday, December 10 at 10 a.m.

google news
Continue Reading

Trending