Freight hoists are basically lifts or elevators for carrying goods. Its main feature is the carrying capacity of goods or materials. Speed and comfort is not a matter of concern for such elevators. Freight hoists are extensively used for commercial purposes in factories, warehouses or shopping centre. The goods carrying capacity of such freight hoists varies from 500 kg-1000kg.
Types of freight hoists:
• Roped freight hoists: Such hoists are widely used for lifting up and carrying down goods and materials. Its main characteristic is to control the spinning of cargo while lift up or down the loads. Roped freight hoists are extensively used in industries like mining, cranes and industrial oil and gas, forestry, fishing, marine, cableways and many other fields. It can carry up to 10000kg. It can lift up to the height of 10 to 30 metres.
• Reciprocating freight hoists: These lift are economical and can be operated easily. Its features are perfect for through-floor, mezzanines and other applications. On the basis of the needs for lifting goods or materials, the systems can be mechanical, hydraulic, automated and package handling. It can lift up to a height of 1 to 9 metres and can carry the load of nearly 2000kg.
• Scissor freight hoists: Such lifts are used for lifting workers in construction sites and carrying goods safely in vertical form. Scissor lift depends on pantograph for their mechanical capacity. Linear motion is required by scissor lifts to provide elevation by hydraulic or pneumatic actuator. It has an interface that helps in height adjustment similar to the direction of the operator. Mobilized scissor hoists are powered by different DC motors whereas stationary scissors are powered by AC electrical supply. Propane engine, diesel or gas scissor lifts have more lifting capacity and are perfect for outdoor worksites. It can carry high loads but cannot cover too much height.
• Ramp freight hoists: These are mostly used outside or outdoors and thus help in saving space. The capacity is also good along with durability and longevity.
Places where Freight Hoists are mostly used:
- Godowns or warehouses where heavy goods are to be lifted at certain heights
- Distribution channels or centres from where goods are supplied to retailers
- Machine houses or factories where heavy material requires to be lifted
- Dealer of Automobiles are bound to go for it
- Many other places where lifting loads is required
Features of Freight hoists are as below:
1. It can travel up to the height of 14000 mm
2. It maximum capacity can be capped around 10 tons
3. Mostly it is used for goods only ;however, it can be used for personnel in some cases as well, if designed so
4. Different types of door configurations are also available
5. It can be fitted within the place or outside the premises
6. Normally, it is based on hydraulic lifting rams to minimize wear and tear
Few precautions are to be taken while using Freight Hoists:
1. One should not lift more than the highest capacity mentioned for the hoists
2. Avoid using malfunctioning hoists
3. Do not try to risk using in case there is kink or damage apparently visible in ropes
4. Be careful that load to be elevated is cantered under the hook of the hoist
5. Avoid using just any hoist for lifting personnel or people
6. One should not self-repair hoist and seek for trained personnel advice in case any issue is noticed.
There are many other precautions that need to be technically taken care of in the due course. However, one cannot undermine the importance of Freight hoists and how it avoids manual labour and also saves time and energy at the same time.