Connect with us

News

Teen dies after being shot in Denver, and a juvenile suspect has been arrested

Published

on

100-year-old Longmont man assaulted along Main Street has died

A teenager has died after being shot in southwest Denver and a juvenile suspect was arrested in the case.

google news

News

Suspect wanted for assault released from St. Louis jail after positive COVID-19 test

Published

on

Suspect wanted for assault released from St. Louis jail after positive COVID-19 test

ST. LOUIS — In an exclusive interview with FOX 2 News, a woman scalded by hot soup in an alleged Jan. 4 domestic assault, called for drastic change in the City of St. Louis’ jail policies.

The suspect, Mac Payne, 36, was released within three hours of his arrest because he tested positive for COVID-19, she said.

“He grabbed me and punched me in my face,” she said of the alleged attack.

Photos of her wounds are too gruesome to show. FOX 2 is also protecting her identity. After taking her to the floor, Payne straddled her and hit her, she said.

“I was getting up he grabbed the pot of soup that he was cooking off the stove and threw it on my face… he was armed, so I called police,” she said.

She continues to recover from burns to her neck, shoulder, and chest area. Payne is charged with two counts of felony domestic assault. He and the alleged victim have a teenage child together, who was in the home at the time of the alleged crime.

St. Louis Police are now seeking the public’s help in arresting him again. Payne was arrested right after the alleged crime. The alleged victim said that he told her was released from the downtown jail because he tested positive for COVID-19.

The day after Payne’s initial arrest and then his release, St. Louis Circuit Judge David Roither issued a warrant, saying Payne was a danger to his victim and the community. The warrant commands police to arrest Payne again and bring him before the court. That was 15 days ago.

Roither agreed with Circuit Attorney, Kim Gardner’s office, that Payne be held with “no bond allowed” pending an initial court appearance.

Payne’s attorney did not respond to questions from FOX 2 News.

“I’m not the first woman (to be attacked). I’m not going to be the last,” the alleged victim said. “COVID is not going anywhere. So, is that going to be the new ‘get out of jail free card?’”

Unrest over COVID, in part, has led to inmates escaping their cells, setting fires, and breaking glass at the jail within the past two years. The alleged victim said COVID was no reason to release violent offenders. She called on Mayor Tishaura Jones to take action.

“Mrs. Jones makes this policy. She even tried to close ‘The Workhouse’ (St. Louis’s medium-security jail) last year. It’s just crazy. I understand the problem with black men being incarcerated in America…sometimes they need to be incarcerated. This is one of those things. You are a danger to me and my child,” she said. “This is setting the tone for other men who are violent towards women. They’re watching. They’re going to say, ‘I could do this. I wonder how far I could take it.’”

“The Workhouse” continues to be available to help isolate COVID positive arrestees, but The City of St. Louis’s Corrections Commissioner, Jennifer Clemons-Abdullah, who was appointed by Jones in September to oversee and fix problems at the downtown jail, issued a statement saying the City of St. Louis Department of Corrections was not solely responsible for which inmates get released.

“The City of St. Louis Department of Corrections (DOC) is working to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 among staff and detainees while working to keep the public safe,” she said. “While the DOC accepts COVD-positive arrestees, the DOC does not have the ultimate authority to determine whether COVID-19-positive arrestees who test positive are fit for incarceration. With input from local hospitals, as well as guidance from the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department and Sheriff’s Office, the DOC makes accommodations to isolate COVID-positive detainees who have been arrested. We will continue to collaborate with these departments on a case-by-case basis.”

In this case, they got it terribly wrong, the alleged victim said.

google news
Continue Reading

News

Fossil Ridge alum Jaelin Howell agrees to three-year deal with Racing Louisville

Published

on

Fossil Ridge alum Jaelin Howell agrees to three-year deal with Racing Louisville

It’s been a whirlwind last few weeks for Fossil Ridge High alum Jaelin Howell.

From going No. 2 in the NWSL Draft, to making her first United States Women’s National Team camp in more than a year and also winning her second straight MAC Hermann Trophy, Howell added another sweet milestone Friday. She signed her first professional contract.

Howell agreed to a three-year deal with Racing Louisville FC, and the highly-rated prospect is now officially a professional.

“I’m extremely grateful for Racing Louisville drafting me and giving me the opportunity to play for a club with such a promising future,” Howell said in a club statement. “I’m excited to help the team compete for championships while learning from some of the best players in the world in this league. I hope to make a positive impact on and off the field for our club, and I’m looking forward to getting started.”

Howell, who is currently training with the USWNT, became only the sixth woman to win the Mac Hermann Trophy twice, as she left Florida State a two-time national champion. On Friday, she also became the first player to sign a contract from Racing Louisville’s six-member draft class.

“Jaelin is one of the most exciting young talents in the game today,” Racing interim president James O’Connor said in a statement. “We’re delighted to bring her on board. She fills a position of need and has an ability to control the game with such a broad range of passing.”

Racing Louisville’s preseason is tentatively set to start Feb. 1, but that date is currently in jeopardy. The Athletic’s Meg Linehan reported Thursday that players won’t report to their clubs for preseason until a Collective Bargaining Agreement is finalized between the NWSL Player’s Association and the league.

google news
Continue Reading

News

Could ex-Dolphins coach Brian Flores return home to New York? Giants hire former Miami exec as GM

Published

on

Could ex-Dolphins coach Brian Flores return home to New York? Giants hire former Miami exec as GM

Could a return home to New York be in store for former Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores?

The New York Giants are expected to interview Flores, according to an ESPN Friday report. Flores, a Brooklyn native, has already been interviewed by the Chicago Bears for their head coaching vacancy and is a name that has been mentioned in connection to the Houston Texans’ opening, as well.

Flores was fired on Jan. 10 after three seasons with the Dolphins, when the team went 24-25. His dismissal was a surprise around the NFL as he took over a roster devoid of talent in 2019 and squeezed five wins out of the team before then producing back-to-back winning seasons in 2020 and 2021. Dolphins owner Steve Ross attributed the decision to Flores’ methods of communication and collaboration within the organization.

The Dolphins have since lined up at least seven known interviews: Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll and defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore and defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel, Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Vance Joseph and Los Angeles Rams running backs coach Thomas Brown. The latest of those interviews — with Joseph and Brown — are wrapping up on Friday, according to NFL Network.

Frazier, Quinn and Joseph have previous head coaching experience. Daboll, Quinn and Joseph have had a previous stop with the Dolphins, and Brown is a former Miami Hurricanes offensive coordinator.

Flores was born and raised in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn and attended Poly Prep Country Day School in Brooklyn before playing college football at Boston College. When the Dolphins topped the New York Jets, 24-17, on Nov. 21 at MetLife Stadium, where the Giants also play, Flores wore an FDNY shirt to the postgame press conference as a tribute to his uncle, a retired firefighter for Ladder 118 in Brooklyn.

The report came as the Giants announced Friday that they hired Bills assistant general manager Joe Schoen, who was a longtime Dolphins executive, to fill their general manager vacancy.

The Giants’ hiring of Schoen could also lead to him pulling Daboll from Buffalo to join him with the Giants. ESPN also named Daboll and Quinn as additional candidates for the New York coaching job.

Schoen and Flores never crossed paths in Miami as Schoen joined the Bills in 2017, two years before Flores was hired by the Dolphins. They’ve been in the AFC East together for years, though, with Flores’ 15 years in the New England Patriots’ organization both as a scout and assistant coach coincided largely with Schoen’s time with the Dolphins.

Schoen first joined Miami in 2008 as a national scout. Five years later, Schoen became the Dolphins’ assistant director of college scouting, and in his final four years in Miami, he was director of player personnel, working his way up to fourth in charge.

Schoen’s decadelong tenure with the Dolphins gained him experience under Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland, Dennis Hickey and current general manager Chris Grier. Since working under Bills general manager Brandon Beane, the two, along with coach Sean McDermott, have transformed Buffalo into the AFC East’s top team and a perennial contender.

According to the Giants’ press release, Schoen “led Miami’s preparation, assessment and acquisition of potential professional and collegiate free agents. Schoen was heavily involved in Miami’s NFL draft preparations, including evaluation and draft board construction while also serving as a key liaison between the coaching staff and personnel staff” during his tenure with the Dolphins.

Still with connections in Miami, Schoen could potentially look to poach executives from the Dolphins.

Flores went 0-6 against Schoen’s Bills in his three seasons with the Dolphins.

google news
Continue Reading

Trending