Connect with us

News

This scenic Illinois neighborhood will pay you to move there

Published

on

This scenic Illinois neighborhood will pay you to move there

GRAFTON, Ill. – Those looking to move may consider the Illinois river town of Grafton, as the city is offering a land rebate program.

The city owns land lots in the Grafton Hills neighborhood that are on sale for $5,000 each. When someone purchases a lot, they have three years to build a house on the property. Once the house is completed, the city will reimburse the homeowner’s cost of the land, according to Mayor Mike Morrow.

“It’s a great deal,” he said.

Currently, there are 26 lots available that are about one-third of an acre. If a landowner does not build a home by the end of the three-year period, the city will buy back the land for $4,000.

The money used to reimburse lot owners comes from the city’s escrow account, according to Morrow. After the city’s building inspector provides a final inspection and turns in the homeowner’s occupancy permit, the city will write a check for $5,000, and either present it in person or in the mail.

There are currently five homes under construction and another two homes that going to be built. So far, everyone who has bought land through the city’s program has built a home, Morrow said.

The properties for sale sit on the bluffs, so future homeowners will not have to worry about flooding and purchasing flood insurance.

“It sits right at the intersection of the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers,” Morrow said. “And it’s very quiet and peaceful. Then in the wintertime, through the trees, you can get a beautiful view of the river and so forth, depending upon where you are — obviously not from all of the locations.”

The neighborhood has several amenities nearby, including a school, a meeting space, and Red Hawk Park that has a playground, a soccer field, and a basketball court.

“It’s just a wonderful place to be able to walk your family at night, walk the dogs, walk the kids,” Morrow said.

The city’s land reimbursement program is part of FEMA’s Great Flood of 1993 buyout program. A total of 600 homes were destroyed in that flood, according to Morrow. A couple of years later, FEMA bought the land where the homes were destroyed in Grafton Hills.

Over the years, the city has been selling the land to homeowners and more recently started this reimbursement program, Morrow said.

Those interested in buying land can call Stan Gula with Dream Homes Realty at 618-806-2747.

“Grafton is a gorgeous little town. It’s one of the few towns on the Illinois side that basically embraces the river. You can walk up to the river’s edge on the Mississippi or the Illinois river and put your toe in the river,” Morrow said.

google news

News

‘Charlie Brown’ voice actor dies at 65

Published

on

‘Charlie Brown’ voice actor dies at 65

Peter Robbins, the original voice of Peanuts character Charlie Brown signs autographs at Comic Con in San Diego on Friday, July 25,2008
(AP Photo/Lisa Rose)

CARLSBAD, Calif. (KSWB) – California native Peter Robbins, the voice actor who brought Charlie Brown to life in the Peanuts cartoons from the 1960s, has died, his family told Nexstar’s KSWB. He was 65.

The voice actor’s family said he took his life last week.

Robbins started voicing Charlie Brown in 1963, at just 9-years-old, appearing in “A Charlie Brown Christmas” and “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.” He adored the character so much, he had a tattoo of Charlie Brown and Snoopy on his arm.

1643173287 521 ‘Charlie Brown voice actor dies at 65
Peter Robbins, the voice actor who brought “Charlie Brown” to life, has died, his family told FOX 5. He was 65. (KSWB)

He also appeared in other TV series including “Get Smart” and “The Munsters.”

KSWB’s Phil Blauer followed Robbins’ ups and downs, from interviewing him in jail because of criminal threats he made against several people, including San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore, to speaking with him when he was in rehab battling an addiction to drugs and alcohol. 

The last time KSWB interviewed Robbins was in 2019, shortly after he was released from prison, speaking about his lifelong battle with mental illness.

“I would recommend to anybody that has bipolar disorder to take it seriously because your life can turn around in the span of a month like it did to me,” Robbins said during the interview. “I came out of prison and I’m a better person for it. I’m much more humble and grateful and thankful that I lived through the experience.”

Robbins’ loved ones are asking for privacy at this difficult time. They say they will hold a memorial service for him at a future date.

If you or someone you know is thinking of harming themselves, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides free support at 1-800-273-8255. Starting on July 16, 2022, U.S. residents can also be connected to the Lifeline by dialing 988. For more about risk factors and warning signs, visit the organization’s official website.

google news
Continue Reading

News

O’Fallon councilwoman facing impeachment calls case waste of taxpayers’ money

Published

on

O’Fallon councilwoman facing impeachment calls case waste of taxpayers’ money

O’FALLON, Mo. — The O’Fallon, Missouri, City Council is set to vote Thursday on whether to impeach Councilwoman Katie Gatewood.

She talked exclusively with FOX 2’s You Paid For It investigator Elliott Davis about the case that she calls unfair and a waste of taxpayers’ money.

Gatewood is accused of interfering with a former O’Fallon Police Chief by questioning his decisions. She’s also accused of lying to the Council about the identity of a whistleblower who was giving her information about the police department and chief.

Yesterday, Gatewood’s attorney filed suit in federal court asking a judge to block that Thursday.

The suit said the impeachment is a violation of Gatewood’s constitutional rights. So far, the impeachment effort has cost O’Fallon taxpayers $161,000.

The Council brought in a special attorney to handle the case for the city. Gatewood and her Attorney have also been trying to get three Councilmen thrown off the impeachment board, who they said are biased against Gatewood and have made a public statement as to their positions 

google news
Continue Reading

News

CSU Rams rally to beat Nevada, remain unbeaten at Moby Arena this season

Published

on

CSU Rams rally to beat Nevada, remain unbeaten at Moby Arena this season

Staring down the prospect of its first home loss of the season at Moby Arena, the Colorado State men’s basketball team responded.

The Rams rallied from a seven-point halftime deficit, then turned on the defense in a back-and-forth battle with Nevada for a 77-66 victory Tuesday night.

The win moved the Rams (16-1, 6-1 Mountain West) to 10-0 at Moby this season, and kept them within a game of first-place Boise State (16-4, 7-0) in a highly competitive Mountain West Conference race.

Isaiah Stevens led the second-half charge for CSU, with the junior guard scoring 14 of his 16 points in the game’s final 20 minutes, including a pair of 3-pointers. David Roddy had 18 points, eight rebounds and six assists, while Chandler Jacobs had 14 points and five rebounds.

Guards Grant Sherfield and Desmond Cambridge Jr. paced the Wolf Pack with 16 and 23 points, respectively.

Nevada led by as many as 10 points in the first half, with a Roddy 3-pointer cutting the advantage to 34-27 entering the break.

CSU then opened the second half by scoring on each of its first five possessions, including back-to-back 3-pointers from Jacobs and Stevens, to turn that deficit into a 39-all game with 17:17 to go.

The two teams traded the lead seven times before the Rams held the Wolf Pack (9-8, 3-3) scoreless for more than five minutes as part of a 12-0 run to take a 75-63 lead with 1:03 to go.

CSU entered the night at No. 27 in the NCAA NET rankings, one of the primary metrics used by the NCAA Tournament selection committee to pick at-large teams. The win ensured the Rams go into Friday night’s showdown with UNLV riding a five-game win streak.

google news
Continue Reading

Trending