DA won’t file criminal charges in death of 6-year-old who fell out of ride at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park

0
165
DA won’t file criminal charges in death of 6-year-old who fell out of ride at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park
google news

Wongel Estifanos in 2020. She was 5 at the time. (Courtesy of Estifanos family)

Prosecutors will not file any criminal charges in connection with the death last year of the 6-year-old girl who fell from a ride at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, saying they lack the evidence needed to prove park employees acted negligently or recklessly.

Ninth Judicial District Attorney Jefferson Cheney wrote in a Jan. 25 letter released by his office Wednesday that he weighed charges of criminally negligent homicide and manslaughter in the Sept. 5 death of Wongel Estifanos at the Glenwood Springs amusement park.

“After considering all of the information provided to me, I conclude that the office of the district attorney cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt any one person or entity acted with criminal negligence or was criminally reckless beyond a reasonable doubt,” Cheney wrote.

Wongel, who wasn’t buckled in, died after falling more than 100 feet from her seat on the Haunted Mine Drop ride. State investigators found that two ride operators did not properly check her seat belt — she was sitting on top of it — and ignored an alarm that should have alerted them to the safety issue.

The 2021 state investigation found inadequate training and multiple errors made by the ride operators contributed to Wongel’s death. The Colorado Division of Oil and Public Safety, which licenses amusement rides, fined the park’s owners $68,000 in October.

The girl’s parents released a statement Wednesday highly critical of Cheney’s decision, saying the lack of criminal charges means “our daughter’s life has been treated as cheap and meaningless.”

“We never wanted the people who killed our daughter to go to jail,” Estifanos Dagne and Rahel Estifanos said in the statement released by their attorney Dan Caplis. “But for the DA to let them off with nothing says our daughter’s life was worth nothing.”

The parents said Cheney sent the message that “in Glenwood Springs, someone can recklessly kill a child and not even get a ticket.”

The Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park released a statement Wednesday emphasizing its priority on safety, but noting, “One accident is one too many, and we are taking steps to be sure that nothing like that can ever happen again.”

“We continue to offer our condolences to the Estifanos family,” said Steve Beckley, the amusement park’s founder. “I am so sorry for their loss, and while I understand that my words cannot touch their grief, my heart continues to ache for them.”

Though nobody associated with the park will face criminal charges, the circumstances surrounding Wongel’s death will be litigated in court. Her parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the park in October, alleging that a pattern of recklessness and improper training caused their daughter’s death.

“The criminal system failed our daughter. We will now go to civil court and prove it on our own,” Wongel’s parents said in their statement Wednesday.

google news
Previous articleCathie Wood’s ARK Invest Puts Bitcoin At $1 Million By 2030
Next articleJustin Timberlake Is ‘Relieved’ After Janet Jackson Reveals The ‘Truth About Their Friendship’