Is it even possible to wear running shoes for dancing classes? The answer depends on the style of the dance you perform. You can find helpful recommendations for shoes to wear for specific classes on the LiveTheDance blog. If you need to start with the basics, read this article.
Wearing the right shoes for your dancing classes helps you to achieve positive results. Although you can try to dance barefoot, specific shoes will grant extra comfort, protect your feet, and help you perform complicated moves. Yet, not all footwear can fit all types of dances.
Running Shoes vs. Dancing Shoes
Running shoes are made for physical exercise, specifically for running. Professional sportsmen will never wear those shoes anywhere except for running. They are lightweight, comfortable, and even have cushioned upper parts so your feet would not get tired so fast. These shoes are made with attention to the runner’s problem, which means they can’t grant you the same benefits while dancing. Running shoes can be used for such dancing types as:
- Hip-hop, which is a street dance, has running shoes as a part of the major outfit;
- Zumba is a mix of dancing moves and physical exercises.
Other dancing styles require specific shoes, including ballet pointe shoes or high heel shoes like many classic ballroom dances. For example, exotic dances like belly dance can be performed barefoot on rare occasions. Specific dancing shoes are universal for a wide range of styles widely used during training.
Dancing shoes, unlike running shoes, are made for dancers considering specific moves. They help dancers to achieve the desired results and prevent injuries. These models help you dance better, concentrating on the moves instead of thinking about comfort. Here are the features that will help you to choose the perfect pair of shoes:
- Freedom of movement. Running shoes may not be suitable for dances with lots of tiptoeing moves, spins, and jumps. Instead, it will help to make more squats and direct moves on the whole foot. If you have lots of turns, you have to make sure that the sole is either made of leather or suede and has a tight grip. Also, you need to consider the dance floor. The wooden floor you usually have in ballroom dance classes is compatible with suede soles. You can try the running shoe for your hip-hop classes if you have a square as your dancing place. The lower-heel dancing shoes will be a great option too;
- Perfect fit. It is crucial to find the shoes that suit your feet. The area around your ankle must be strongly fixated to avoid injuries or loss of the shoe. The shoes must not be too tight, but not loose either. If you can’t decide, you can opt for a tighter shoe that will stretch in the future;
- Comfort. Think about the moves you have to perform during the dance. Do they put lots of pressure on your heels, ankles, or toes? Which part of your foot needs extra protection? This is how you can choose whether you need ballroom dance shoes, training dance shoes, pointe shoes, or can wear your running shoes. Running shoes are flat, and you will not be able to bend or stretch your foot. Meanwhile, specific dance shoes for training usually have a split sole to allow you to perform any move easily. At the same time, if you are practicing ballroom dances, you have to get used to the heels. No matter what you choose, it must be comfortable for dance;
- Durability. Pay attention to the material these shoes are made of. You dance in the running shoes, and you still need to clean them from time to time. Wash them after practice; you can provide a machine wash for sensitive clothes at least once a week or two. Like any other shoes for dancing, they will get covered in sweat occasionally. The durability of the fabric is highly important. It must not fall apart after the washing procedure as well;
- Protection. You may have already got the idea of extra protection your feet need during the dancing routine. It is a crucial factor. The shoe is your protection against any injuries of fractions. Also, your entire body is involved in the dance. No matter which style you perform, the critical part holding the whole pressure of your body is your feet. You have to ensure that the shoes you currently wear protect your feet, are strongly fixed, and are not slippery. If you have to step on your heels or toes a lot, you need extra protection for these parts. If you step on the sides of your feet, running shoes with cushions will be helpful as well.
Are All Running Shoes Good for Dance?
Unfortunately, not all running shoes are suitable for Zumba or hip-hop. Before buying the model, you have to make sure you can move with the rest of the class. The sole must not be slippery. If it can bend, it is a benefit for you. The fabric on the shoe’s upper part must be breathable since you will sweat a lot. Pay attention to the basic features of the running shoes you want to buy.
Dancing in Running Shoes
You can dance in any shoes with the right mood and skills. Yet, only 2 types of dances can perform in this footwear: Zumba and hip-hop dancers. You have to make sure your running shoes allow you to complete all the moves your teacher shows you. Read the reviews from the dancers about a specific type of shoes you want to pick. Your shoes have to improve your moves and help you to achieve new goals.